The National Executive Committee adopted the present Mission and vision statements of the American Legion Auxiliary in March 2008.
The Mission of the American Legion Auxiliary is to serve veterans, their families and their communities.
In support of our Mission, we adhere to the following purposes:
- To support the American Legion programs for veterans, young people, and community
- To provide for today´s needs while being advocates for a brighter future
- To advance the understanding of patriotism and responsibility of citizenship
- To promote individual integrity and family values
- To ensure as volunteers, that the Auxiliary members continue to be the leaders in all that is good in this nation today, tomorrow and for generations to come through serving others and not self.
The American Legion Auxiliary has one great purpose- ¨to contribute to the accomplishment of the aims and purposes of The American Legion.¨ Except for the addition of those words, the Preamble to the National Constititution is nearly the same as that of The American Legion. The American Legion Auxiliary does not establish any policy that conflicts with those of the American Legion. Its activities are designed to enhance the American Legion´s programs. Although often working independently on projects of its own, the Auxiliary has no purposes which are apart from the aims of the American Legion. It is in every sense an Auxiliary in The American Legion, Its members serve side by side with the members of the American Legion in a spirit of unselfish devotion to the well being of the American Legion.